»

Saturday, July 5, 2008

NYY Insanity & the All-Star Roller Coaster Ride

It's been a month since I posted, not because I was not watching baseball, I was. I have been swamped at work. I work in the pharmaceutical and medical device industry as a consultant. Right now we are very busy, busy with good compliant clients and with clients with significant issues. Through all this the only thing that keeps me sane is baseball; and on that not my sanity is beginning to slip too.

My friend Danny reminds every year, that the Yankees play differently after the All-Star Break. Well the All-Star Break is 8 days away, and I am certainly hoping he is correct; or the team is looking at no playoff s this year.

I didn't vote for any Yankees as All-Stars this year, because you cannot vote for pitcher. If so my vote would have gone to Mike Mussina. Mussina who I expected less of this year has proven many wrong. He has given his all, and is one of the many reason the Yankees are in 3rd and not 5th in the Al East.

Yes an argument could be made for the position players, however watching this Yankee Roller Coaster since April, I don't see where any have consistent met All-Star criteria. If I was forced to send two, it would be Jeter and Molina. And then I still don't think they deserve the trip.

Unlike amateur sports, the professional All-Star roster is supposed to represent the best of the best. On paper that is what the Yankees are. However off paper and on the field for the the 1st Half of the season, they get a C+. I expect my All-Stars to be at least A- performers.

Take Friday's July 4th game. The Yankees were leading with a 3-0 lead at he end of the 1st, that should have set the Yankees' tone for the game. Rasner should have been replaced before he pitched to Youklas in the 5th; but he was left in. After that the Yankees did notching. This is not how the Yankees play Boston. Yankees Boston is 2-1 or 15-14 blowouts. The Yankees played tired, almost heartless. That has to change. Mediocrity does not earn 1st place.

I will be at the game Sunday night. Considering the game is late, and I will be bleary eyed for work the next day, I am hoping that the real New York Yankees show up. However I am not getting my hopes up.

It is unfathomable to think that this New York Yankee team, paper A+ team of All-Stars looks like mutts on the fields.

The Yankees need to start playing baseball to the caliper they are and not coasting. Right now they might get a C for talent, but they get a big fat F for effort.

They should all be in clinics over the All-Star break, because right now they all could use work on the basics.

0 comments: