»

Monday, March 31, 2008

The Final Consecration of the Cathedral

The faithful had gathered, hope and anticipation of another season; Opening Day in the Bronx. The weather, lousy with a light drizzle did not dash the hearty. Many began tailgating in the lots in the early morning. I arrived on the D train from Penn Station and met Glamourbee and off to services we went.


It was about noon as we entered hallowed ground, I tithed obtaining my 2008 Yearbook, Opening Day Pin, Program and Opening Day shirt. Up to our lofty perch in the loge we went to view the final consecration of this grand stadium; we thought. I easily found my seats, in the same space I have been since 2002. Next year I will have to be attentive when the great move is made. Time to watch and wait.

There were scattered announcements about a rain delay, and not much till 1:30. John Sterling and the YES casters presented messages of hope, Joe G and Brian C took in the field around 2:00PM and then 3 Blue jays came out to play catch. My optimism rose, only to be dashed around 2:30 when the faithful were sent home. No game today, bad weather approaching.
To this I must say the Yankee weatherman must go. The current meteorologist lacks skill, The rain remained away, and had they started at 2:00PM they could have gotten the game in. The Yankee weatherman is a wimp. Please hire Bill Evans, Lee Goldberg and/or Sam Champion. They were correct, the Yankee weather guy was wrong.

I took a PTO day to go today, no big deal I have 30, and have hardly dented them yet. Others who were there had skipped school or also played work hooky. But we will all adjourn in the same location again tomorrow night.

Opening Night isn't as much fun as Opening Day. There is still the announcement of players and staff to look forward to; but the game will be under lights in the dark; and like it or not, some of the anticipation of first pitch will have left; but Glamourbee and I will be there again, hopefully to see baseball played and not rain delayed.















0 comments: